Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Merlo- Week #39

Random Numbers


Hey Everyone!

First off I need to let you in on a little bad news. I didn’t get the package again this week, because we didn’t have a district meeting yesterday due to the fact that zone conference is on Friday. So I will be receiving it on Friday. That also means, that all the letters I wrote last week, and this week, are not going to be sent until Friday, so expect that little delay (including a birthday letter for dad). Also, the weekly newsletter this week (El Sol) says that we are going to have to start paying for our packages you send, so I am not exactly sure what that means, but ok.

Just to start off, this week was a bit stressful, but we made it through alright. I stressed all week the importance of goals to Elder Arriola and we ended up reaching a lot of the weekly goals we put, but he is still struggling to understand their importance...now if he only knew he was struggling we would be in good shape to try and course correct. We had to set a baptism goal for the transfer, and last transfer he wanted to put 10, which is way high for this mission, the highest anyone usually gets in a transfer is 8 or so, but last transfer I didn’t really know him that well, and didn’t want to squander his faith, so I talked a little about it with him and we lowered it to 7, and last transfer we had 5, so we didn’t reach the goal. I feel we could have reached it, but we didn’t work like we wanted to reach it. So this transfer, we have a few prospects too, so we prayed, and started to talk about the goal we wanted to put. Here is the conversation that took place:
A=arriola
G=gilmore
A-Seven?
G-No, last transfer we didn’t reach seven and we started the transfer with five dates.
A-Five?
G-I think three.
A-We going to put six then?
G-ELDER! Are you just saying random numbers, or do you actually have people in mind?
A-Well, Eduardo, Margarita, Marcelo and Ana are four.
G-We have only taught Marcelo and Ana once and they aren’t married.
A-I feel three would be a good goal.
G-..........(in English, so he didn’t understand) you amaze me.......
A-What?
G-Good idea, Elder, I agree with three.

Other than that, we have been making a lot of progress. Also, we had to move all the baptisms back two more weeks, because there is a stake activity this Saturday, and the bishop doesn’t want to make the members choose between the baptism and the stake...and then the next week is GENERAL CONFERENCE!!! I am pumped up! So baptisms on hold for the time being. Speaking of the living prophets and apostles, I got a little trunky last night, but in a way you wouldn’t have thought was possible. We went to visit a less active family and put on a little family night with them, then we watched Special Witnesses of Christ, and let me tell you, not a good idea. They are showing clips of Salt Lake, Temple Square, the MTC all over the place, and I was like, “Oh my gosh, turn this off right now.” Also, I don’t want to add to the missing of Grandpa, but when I was watching the L. Tom Perry segment, all I could think of was Grandpa. L. Tom Perry and Grandpa have the same mouth and teeth. It is strange to think he has been gone a year already. Also, I turned nine months in the mission last week! I am almost into double digits!

A few little questions. How much did my ring cost? There are a ton of people here that want my ring, members and such, and I tried to explain that it is expensive from the states but they want to know that price anyway...they can only get the green ones at the temple here. Send more green ones anyway, because I gave all of them away already. Also, I am running out of peanut butter... Also, some song just came on and the announcer said that it is a hit song that just came out in the states(which means it actually probably came out 6 months ago) but a woman is singing that she kissed a girl and liked it...also something about cherry chapstick...I can’t hear it very well....how did this become a hit song? It felt so right it felt so wrong... oh geez...I feel wrong listening to it. Just sing a hymn. Well, all is going well here in the mission, hope things continue to go well there too, talk to you next week!

Love, Sean

No comments: