Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Merlo- Week #35

¡It's Raining Emails!

Hello once again family and friends,

This week was a pretty good week, but still had its minor hiccups. We had ZERO investigators in Sacrament...first time that has happened to me in a while. It was raining all day Saturday and Sunday, and I am pleased to report that the REI umbrella that Dad bought is worth the 100% guarantee of extra wind guard thingy it came with. So anyways, the rain might not seem like a big deal...but to Argentines it is...also, our area is at a lower level than the rest of the area and all the water seemed to flow into it. There were actually streets we couldn't pass because there was a full-blown river raging across the intersections...current and all...but we still made it to church...unfortunately not many other people did. I counted 19 people in Sacrament meeting...including us...also including small children and infants. No joke here people. So that was fun. We still have one more baptism planned for sure this transfer, with other possibilities still, but for sure Margarita Roa is going to be baptized on the 7th of March. There is a big stake activity that day in Padua (where the stake center is) called the sabado blanco (white Saturday). All the baptisms that day are going to be in the Stake Center in a Stake wide baptismal service. There are already about 15 planned for that day, so Margarita will be a part of that. Alright so that you know who Margarita is, she has been going to church for almost a year now, but she got offended (happens a lot with Argentines) and to pay the woman back she decided not to be baptized...after a year now, she has mostly forgotten about why she was offended and we explained to her that she is only hurting herself by not being baptized, so we are good to go with her. She has known Elder Arriola a lot longer so she will probably choose him to baptize her, so I probably won’t be wearing white in the big 15 person picture, but oh well.

Glad to hear that Castillo is doing so well! I saw in the weekly newsletter this week that they only had two baptisms this weekend not three...but I bet it is just because Roxana wants to get baptized with her daughters. I don't think I will be going back for all the baptisms. I am in this area now, and I don't want to push it asking President to be going back and back and back again, but I am really happy for them, they were a great family to work with, and I spent quite a bit of time in their house. Also all the other investigators that are getting baptized there it is amazing. It definitely is a strange feeling. I am not mad or jealous, but it is definitely a bit of a hit to take to not be able to see all the baptisms of the people you taught, prayed for, fasted for, cursed Argentina for, but not cried for, I never cried...I AM A MAN I don’t cry! Maybe that is where I went wrong...haha no just kidding, but seriously. All I can do now is keep working here in Merlo, which is what I plan on doing.

So, in answer to questions, I have taken part in one zone activity my whole mission...my first transfer. The other transfers, either we didn’t have one, or I was in Ramos in the offices with Elder Shields one time when his uncle came...but yeah so that is how that is. We have interviews not tomorrow, but next Wednesday, and then in two weeks from today we go to the temple again. The pig picture is actually from about 2 months ago in Castillo, my first week with Elder González, during New Years. Everyone cooks lechon...(baby pig) for New Years, so upon finding an investigator cooking one, we took the opportunity of taking pictures and sampling...highly recommended. Tasted great. No there are only mailboxes to put mail into at the post offices...so yes...you have to go to the post office for all postal needs...I still pretty much eat everyday with members, the food is the same. The zone leaders are Elder Steele from Orem, and Elder Mackay from Cypress/Buena Park California, and sometimes we just talk about places we used to go as kids and we find out that some of the places are the same...he goes surfing in Seal Beach a lot...they are cool, and it is fun to not have the responsibility of a zone leader, but have access to the continual influx of information that they receive, such as datos (numbers?) data? Basically I know what everyone in the zone and other parts of the mission are doing, and how hard they are working. Kind of fun. I don’t know why the area is so small people. It is the boundaries the Church set, I am sure there is a reason. I didn’t make the boundaries; I just do the Lord’s work within them. Everything is going pretty well right now. Now is clutch time for the transfer, and we need to hit is hard this week. I love you all, and thank you for your prayers and support. Time is up already. Keep reading and praying...I challenge everyone to send me a handwritten letter this month about what they have learned in the scriptures lately...mostly because mail has slowed down and I want some letters...haha so now you have my challenge for the month of February.

Love, Sean

p.s. also i forgot to add in my main email that i wish myself a happy 8 months of the mission, and I want everyone to know that the separation we have experiences we will witness two more times...and then you are stuck with me again.

No comments: